Tuesday, September 1, 2009

week 23

I am so far behind on my blog but I have kept up on my handouts so i will be catching up over the next few days. This handout is about the Word of Wisdom and how it came to be. I must say as a youth it always was hard to explain to my friends why I couldn't do this or couldn't do that but as I have come to understand the importance of it. Joseph Smith is a prophet of God. Heavenly Father is the Father of our Spirits and sometimes it seems like we are given commandments that have no reason behind them. Sometimes we are only being asked to show our obedience and faith. I remember as a youth and even today sometimes questioning things that I want to do. But as a parent I am coming to understand even more the role of my Father in Heaven. Always, because he knows me and you perfectly, he gives us commandments to keep us out of trouble. He isn't doing it to make our lives miserable, to make them harder, to take the joy away. In fact he is commanding because he wants to make life easier, healthier, more joyous and so much more. My kids always ask why. Its inevitable, unless of course it is something they want to do. its like as soon as they are asked to do something they don't like or seems difficult they ask why? This is not truly to understand; it is their way of complaining...they don't want to do it and they think by asking why I am going to change my mind. Anyway as i ramble on I will get to my point about the word of wisdom. It is not about what we "can't do" it is about how to live our lives in a way that will make our bodies and mind and spirit healthier and able so that we "can do" Back when the word of wisdom was given there were no reports out about how bad tobacco, alcohol, coffee and tea were for you. Report only recently have indicated the toll caffeine takes on your body. The word of wisdom says what each of things are to be used for and their intended purpose. Only we as imperfect human beings have taken these useful medicinal items and made them "drugs" If used correctly they can be useful and healing but as we use them for recreation we build up tolerance and they are no longer useful to our bodies. We all don't need to be told how we function when we have been drinking or how our bodies crave tobacco and can't do without. We have all seen it or experienced it. So why, when our Heavenly Father asks us to refrain from these items and gives us useful tools to make our bodies and minds healthy and responsive, do we ask why? Because human nature insists we not want to feel like we are being told what to do. As a youth it feels that way, even as an adult it seems that way at times but as I contemplate it more I understand we are not being told what to do- we are being asked and we can choose and with that choice we have a consequence, we can either choose the blessings that come with following commandments or we can choose to not be prepared for eternal blessings and have to deal with physical and mental addictions that will control us and ultimately lead us into either mental, physical, financial or other distress. Its your choice--it always is! I know this now as I begin to teach my children and want so much to keep them from harm or from making the same mistakes i have made. But yes, they have a choice and their will be consequences. i only hope I can teach them from example that the blessings of following the commandments, while they sometimes may seem difficult, in the end will make life so much easier.

1 comment: