Sunday, January 11, 2009

january 11- Week Two


I absolutely enjoy teaching. I love learning and love sharing what I learn with others. Our lesson was on, Our Savior Jesus Christ. What he has done for us, why and how we can get to know him throughout the Doctrine and Covenants. I must say for me I have not used the D&C the way i should have. I have gotten so caught up in reading the Book of Mormon, study the Old and New Testament, specifically Isaiah and the gospels that I think I forget about the D&C. But in just these 2 weeks I have grown a deep love for the words contained in it. First of all, it was written for the church members today, in this dispensation. Second, most of it comes directly from the Saviors mouth. Third, it is all in answer to someones earnest prayers. It testifies that our prayers are answered. If we want to know something sincerely he will answer. These are things I have always known but I really have been blessed with a greater knowledge of these things. We spoke of the atonement of Jesus Christ and how the Doctrine and Covenants gives us, in Christ's own words, the reasons for his sufferings. Why? So we would not have to suffer as he did. So we could repent. So we could be saved from spiritual death. His resurrection saves us from Physical death, our spirits being reunited with our bodies, but we must choose to have him save us from spiritual death. We spoke about forgiveness. We often forget that we have already been forgiven when we do something wrong, if we repent. We spoke about how the Savior forgets our sin and how as a mortal we may have a harder time forgetting the sin but that in remembering we are protected from doing it again. And that when someone wrongs us and sincerely repents or asks for our forgiveness we are required to forgive, maybe not forgetting what has happened but no longer judging or bringing up the past. We spoke about how we can use the D&C to come to know Christ and his character, his attributes, his personality and really get to know him- so we can become like him. And as we become like him we grow stronger and closer to him. It is so important to know our Savior and have a testimony that he knows us and loves us. To know that there is not anything that he would not do for us that would be in our best interest, if we just ask. To know that he knows our hurts, sufferings, pains and sorrows. He loves us perfectly and we need to start now to feel the same for him by letting the atonement have a place in our lives. Instead of just hearing it as a story- letting it become a reality. As I have heard it said before instead of believing in Christ, believing Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment