Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Week 18


This week's lesson was on the Law of tithing. I know this law, if observed, with bring you blessings beyond description. Most often, however, when we think of blessing we think of physical blessings. Not to say that the blessings we receive from tithing aren't physical because they absolutely are however we also get spiritual blessings that enhance the way we look at our physical blessings. We must admit when we pay tithing it is out of absolute faith when we first do it. Now as we continue in faith and begin to recognize those blessing that faith becomes knowledge. Over the years what started as faith for me has become a knowledge and i would never, not even for a moment, consider not paying tithing. I know that I could not do without those blessings. I have seen to many that I know have directly come from paying tithing. One of those is knowing that my Heavenly Father and Savior know me and know my needs; that they are watching over me and my family. This is not to say we don't struggle in the financial department yet those financial struggles are man made. When we don't live within our means that is our responsibility. Still with the knowledge I have I continue to know that the desires of my heart ( not necessarily the wants) will be acknowledged and if it is for the benefit of me and my family they will come to pass. I know this...as longs as I remain true and faithful to the covenants that I have made at baptism and in the temple i will continue to develop my relationship with my Savior. I continue to be blessed with knowledge that helps me to understand where I came from, why I am here and where I am going. I don't know all that I want or need to know but i have faith that as i study, ponder and pray and keep the commandments and follow the prophet those questions will be answered in their own due time as i am ready to hear them.
Tithing money is used to build the kingdom of God...it does not go to any specific individual, no one gets paid. it goes to building churches and upkeeping them around the world, it goes to sharing and spreading the gospel and everything that comes with doing that. It goes to anything that the Lord, through revelations, feels with build up His church and bring souls unto Him.
Now the other thing that we have been asked to do is pay Fast Offerings. This is to set aside one day, typically the first sunday of every month, and in fasting and prayer go to the Lord and ask for those things you or a friend or family members stand in need of. Fasting consists of giving up 2 meals and during those 2 meals use that time for meditation, study, pondering and prayer for those things. What you would have spent on those meals it is asked that you give to fast offerings. This money goes into a fund that is distributed to those in need within the ward and if there is excess to the needs of the stake and so on. In the scriptures it says "if you do it unto the least of these my brethren you do it unto me" by paying fast offerings we are taking care of God's children in a physical manner. I had an institute teacher that once said, "if you stand in need of physical blessings, (and I am not talking about needing a red ferrari) then double your fast offerings and watch what happens." When he said this my soul was struck with such force I have never for once doubted that statement and i know that we have been blessed by paying our fast offerings as much as we can and not being stingy with the Lord and his children. The Law of Tithing is a testimony builder, it is a faith strengthener, it is a knowledge builder. I must admit when I first started being faithful to this principle it was not easy, I had bills, i had things i wanted but i also had a seed of faith that said this principle was of God. I have remained faithful to this principle and as I said previously I no longer pay it out of faith but out of knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment